The Avondale Jockey Club was formed in 1889 when the Avondale area was a rural farm settlement on the outskirts of Auckland. Horse racing was known in the district as far back as 1864 when there was racing at Henderson’s Mill in Henderson and at Helensville.
The Avondale race track – on the present site – was built on the farm of Moss Davis, 1847 – 1933. Encouraged by the possibility of crowds visiting the racecourse and an increase in population in the district, additional businesses set up in the township. While the course was being built a billiards saloon, barber’s shop, grocer, draper and butcher were set up along from the Avondale Primary School on Great North Road.
Address: Avondale Jockey Club, 2/48 Ash Street, PO Box 19/103 Avondale, Auckland, New Zealand
Phone: +64 (0)9 828 330
Opening Hour: N/A